North East Falconry Centre (just outside Huntly) – Tel 01466 760328
Spectacular Falcons, Owls and Eagles are permanently on display. Seeing these great Birds of Prey flying for the first time is a real experience. Master Falconers show the skills and talents of each bird.
- Centre open April – October, daily – 10.30am – 5.30pm
- See the birds fly: 11am, 12.45pm, 2.30pm and 4.15pm
- Out of season – courses 3 to 5 days, hunting trips and training in Falconry
Discover the individual personalities of the birds, the tricks they play and their sometimes deadly traits. The breathtaking flying demonstrations offer a unique photo & video opportunity – if you’re quick enough! Peregrine Falcons fold their wings and plummet earthwards at speeds estimated to exceed 200mph.
Remarkable for its splendid architecture, Huntly Castle served as a baronial residence for five centuries.
Many impressive features include a fine heraldic sculpture and inscribed stone friezes. The earliest stronghold on the site sheltered Robert the Bruce in the 14th century.
The river Deveron is often referred to as “Scotland’s hidden gem”. It is a prolific, medium-sized river and deservedly one of the top 5 British salmon rivers. It also has an abundance of sea-trout and its brown trout fishing has a very high reputation.
The Deveron flows through one of Scotland’s least explored areas – from the Cabrach plateau in the foothills of the Grampian Mountains northwards to the Moray Firth where is reaches the sea.
Season opens mid February and ends late October
Local craftsmen and women display and sell their goods along with other local suppliers of fresh herbs, game, poultry, fish, vegetables, cheese, eggs, jams and chutneys.
- The Square, Huntly – 1st Saturday morning of each month
Huntly Nordic and Outdoor Centre (HNOC) – Tel 01466 794428
HNOC is situated in a beautiful location next to the river Deveron. This is a fantastic centre served by enthusiastic staff.
- All weather Nordic skiing and roller skiing track
- Instructor lead courses held at various times during the year
- All weather ski slope for tubing fun
- Mountain bike hire
- Huntly skiers in British Nordic Development Squad http://www.bnds.org.uk/
Huntly Golf Club – Tel 01466 792643
Huntly golf course is a rolling parkland course set between the rivers Deveron and Bogie with a burn running across four holes. The attractive Huntly Castle backs onto the second green.
- Founded in 1892 course measures 5,399 yards from medal tees
- 67 par course, number of memorable holes
- Fully stocked pro shop and comfortable clubhouse
Huntly Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre – Tel 01466 792397
Open throughout the year. Know for its friendly staff and helpful instructors. During school holidays there is a special timetable of fun activities for children.
- Flipper and Snorkel and inflatable fun sessions
- Spa and Sauna
- “Crash courses” for children learning to swim during holidays Book & Pay
- Adult only swimming sessions
- Fitness centre next to the swimming pool
During the summer the famous Huntly Pipe Band perform (weather permitting) on a Tuesday evening in the Square in Huntly.
Undertake walks from 5 -15 miles throughout Aberdeenshire. Participants must be reasonably fit. Protective footwear and weatherproof clothing essential.
- Notice board at Stewart’s Hall or Brander Library Huntly for walk programme
- Sunday walks, Departure time varies